Thursday, May 12, 2011

WE DID IT!!

THIS AIN'T JUST SURVIVING


Ok, if you have read any of my blog about the Public School Years, you already know that the main reasons that were holding me back from homeschooling Padawan was that I was certain that he would not let me teach him anything because he was so strong-willed, the age old "socialization" argument, and as time went on my I was convinced that if "this was how teaching him was going to be" SURELY one or both of us would not survive the experience!


Well guess what?!? Boy was I WRONG!



You know what, Padawan (and I) have covered a lot more material in some subjects than he would have in Public School and maybe a little less in others. AND I've learned that ITS OK! He's learned things that he thought he should know, things that I thought he should know, and even most of the things that Politicians think he should know.

AND BOTH of US SURVIVED!!

We also have a better relationship than we have had in a long time. We have had a lot of time to bond. Now, don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been a bed of roses. There has been a lot of adjusting and a lot of give and take. We still have a lot of things to work on. But I know how to deal with more of his quirks and idiosyncrasies by now, and the more I learn about Autistic behaviors helps me to avoid things that were previously problems - just by making a few minor adjustments or changing my thinking.


The best part of Homeschool, is that we can do things OUR way. I'm longer feeling the pressure to convince my star shaped peg that he has to fit in a square hole. AND for the first time in a long time, I am looking forward to this upcoming school year. YES- I said that! 

In fact, I think we not only survived..I think we are beginning to THRIVE. Who would've thunk it?


Sidenote: I just wanted to mention- a lot of my rambling about The Public School Years could be seen as that I am only focusing on the negative. There were a lot of positive moments too - but the positive moments weren't the ones STRESSING US OUT and CAUSING CHAOS IN OUR LIVES!! And no, the quirks and behavior issues were not only at school, they are all part of who Padawan is. And yes, I do view  many of Padawan's quirks as positive traits, and try to minimize the negative ones.  But in a classroom setting with so many other kids- each having issues of their own - that is not always an option no matter how good the teacher is. 
I have a lot of respect for anyone who chooses teaching as a career. That is why his father and I were always so willing to help the teachers relate to Padawan as best as we could by giving them the "inside scoop". Also, I think the early years were more beneficial to him in some aspects more than others....But as his third grade teacher explained to us- he may begin to have more trouble keeping up with the growing expectations in the upcoming school years.
Another thing--- I don't view all of the troubles of his Public School Years as being the school's or the teachers' fault. In fact, Padawan's school was a GREAT school. I would have LOVED to go to school there. They had a GREAT Principle and 99.9% of the staff was GREAT. There was so much parent involvement that parents were always coming and going. If there was ever an event, they could only hold it for one or two grades at a time because of parking issues. Even then there were cars parked for a 1/4 mile down the street in either direction. It is just so turns out that a classroom setting is not the best environment for Padawan, and that is what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Comments are always welcome and appreciated. I promise not to make you do a word verification!

125 x 125 SQUARE